Traditional Royalty Guidelines
The traditional royalties include:
Adult Trade - Hardcover
- A basic royalty of 10 percent of suggested retail price on the first 5,000 copies sold,
- 12 1/2 percent on the next 5,000 copies, and
- 15 percent on all copies sold in excess of 10,000.
Children’s - Hardcover
- A basic royalty starting at 10 percent
- Can escalating to 15 percent after an agreed-upon number of copies are sold.
(when the hardcover edition is published by us or as a paperback original)
- A royalty of 6 percent of retail price on the first 10,000 copies (or the first print run if it is less than 10,000 copies)
- An increase to 7 1/2 percent for copies sold in excess of 10,000.
Mass Market Paperback
(when the hardcover edition is published by us or as a paperback original),
- A royalty of 6 percent of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold with an increase to 8 percent there after.
Professional, Scientific, or Technical books,
- A royalty based on 15% of net price will be established.
- For hardcover textbooks, the royalty is 18 percent after 7,500 or 10,000 books have been sold Higher thereafter as negotiated.
Textbooks which originate in Paperback,
- The royalty will be in the range of 10 to 15 percent of net price.
Sales causing reduced royalties may include:
- Sales at a higher than normal discount to wholesalers or retailers. Such discounts are due to purchasing large quantities of books.
- Sales by mail order or direct response advertising.
- Sales on small reprintings, such as 1,000 copies or less
- Sales for export, to reading circles, to book clubs, and to organizations
- Sales as a remainder (when excess inventory is liquidated), if at a discount of 70 percent or more,
- Finally, promotional copies, author’s copies, and copies which are destroyed are royalty free.
View our Standard Book Publishing Agreement